Romantic Things To Do On Maui
Maui is unquestionably one of the most romantic places on earth, with powder-soft beaches, breathtaking sunsets, and stunning natural beauty everywhere you look. I mean, really, it’s hard NOT to feel romantic on Maui. There’s just something about this place that makes you want to share it with someone you love. Maui oozes romance. Sometimes it’s great to plan “something romantic” on the island; other times, those special moments on Maui just present themselves to you unexpectedly. Here are a few of my suggestions for romantic things to do on Maui, in case you need some inspiration!
NOTE: This blog was updated in February 2022, but due to the continuing impacts of COVID-19, some of the businesses and activities mentioned in the blog could possibly change their operations. As things are changing constantly amidst this pandemic, please check with these places directly to verify their operating status and hours. Mahalo!
• TROPICAL SUNSETS: I know, I know…this one is obvious! Of course, one of the most romantic things to do on Maui is to share a tropical sunset. But you need to know the best places to see one. You can watch the sun sink into the sea (or duck behind a neighboring island) from any number of places, as long as you are on the western or southern shores of Maui, or at a high altitude with a panoramic view (like the top of Mount Haleakala). That means, for instance, that you are not going to see the sun set from Central Maui (where it is blocked by the West Maui mountains) or Hana, which is on Maui’s eastern side. In South and West Maui, however, you will be able to see the sun set directly offshore at any time of year. And every sunset is different. Some are gentle as a whisper, softly coloring the sky with pink and violet. Others set the sky on fire with gold and scarlet. Either way, Maui’s tropical sunsets are stunning, and yes, incredibly romantic.
A word of warning: in general, it is illegal to consume alcoholic beverages on Maui’s beaches, so if your dream is to enjoy the sunset from the beach while sharing a glass of wine, champagne or whatever, please relocate your sunset watch to one of the many wonderful oceanfront restaurants or lounges on the island. Or consider a sunset cruise! Don’t just plunk yourself down in the sand and pop open that bubbly, or your sunset experience might be spoiled by a hefty fine. That’s not so romantic.
• THE GREEN FLASH: No discussion of Maui sunsets would be complete without a heads up about the green flash. This is a rare phenomenon that occurs only under certain conditions on evenings when there are no clouds, haze, or other obstructions on the horizon. As the sun sinks, just at the very moment when the last bit of sun disappears into the sea, a tiny brilliant emerald-green “spark” will flash on the horizon. It lasts no more than a second. A mere blink of the eye. SO DON’T BLINK. No kidding. You will miss it. The green flash is rare and unpredictable. Even when conditions appear to be perfect for a green flash, sometimes it occurs—but more often not. So, if the horizon is absolutely clear and you are sunset watching, look for it. The green flash is something to be treasured if you are lucky enough to see one—especially with that special someone!
• END OF THE RAINBOW: Ever wonder what’s at the end of a rainbow? Here’s your chance to find out. Maui’s tropical rains often produce massive rainbows that are fully in view from one colorful end to the other. Choose your end of the rainbow and follow it. You probably won’t discover a pot of golf, but you’ll likely find an off-the-beaten-path adventure…and maybe a little romance along the way.
• THE BEACH: Let’s face it, what’s more romantic than strolling on the beach, barefoot, hand-in-hand with someone you love? Need I say more? The beach is one of the most romantic places on Maui, and there are thirty miles of beach on the island. Beaches are all around you, and they are all open to the public — there are no private beaches on Maui. So take his/her hand, get out there, and sink your toes into the sand.
• SUNRISE AT HALEAKALA: For early risers (and I mean really, really early), driving up the mountain in the wee hours of the morning to catch the sunrise from Haleakala can be an otherworldly, unforgettable, breathtakingly romantic experience. But make sure you confirm an advance reservation (yes, a reservation is required to enter the park during sunrise hours), check the weather conditions in advance, and wear something very warm (or bring a blanket). It’s very cold up there above the clouds at dawn! Read more about the Haleakala sunrise here.
• PRIVATE PICNIC FOR TWO: If you’re looking for a unique and intimate experience with your partner, Maui Luxe Picnics is a perfect option. Maui Luxe Picnics offers boutique, luxury-styled picnics in some of Maui’s most serene locations. The luxury “Picnic for Two” includes designer rugs, plush pillows, a custom low picnic table decorated with romantic candle lighting, florals and a gourmet grazing platter for two. The Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm, Wailea Beach Resort and a private waterfall estate are a few of their exclusive locations. This isn’t just a picnic, it’s an experience!
• ACTIVITIES FOR TWO: There are dozens of romantic activities on Maui for active couples to enjoy together. What strikes your fancy? Hiking along coastal trails, on mountaintops, or through bamboo forests. Sunset cruises, or private boat tours for a wedding party–or just the two of you. (“Pop the question” on your own private sunset cruise!) Tandem parasailing. Side-by-side ziplining. Horseback riding. A luau. Or tee up for a twosome at one of Maui’s famed golf courses.
• ROMANTIC SERVICES AND AMENITIES: Sometimes Maui romance can be found right where you are staying. Check with your accommodations to see if they offer any special romantic amenities. Couples’ spa treatments (sometimes offered beachfront or in the privacy of your own room); romantic room amenities (like champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries) or special room setups like candlelit bubble baths. If your Maui condo or villa does not have a spa, unwind with a couples massage where they come to you or visit Maui’s Best Massage in Lahaina or Kihei! Montage Kapalua Bay’s seasonal Champagne Hale “pop-up lounge” venue, set directly on the water in the intimate Cliff House, is also a very romantic way to spend the evening. It is a magical place to sip champagne at sunset! See my Maui For Foodies blog for more details.
• PHOTOGRAPHY SESSION: Capturing your love surrounded by Maui’s beauty is something you’ll treasure for years to come! Whether you’re in Maui to just take a break with your loved one, or celebrating a special occasion like engagement, anniversary, birthday, or honeymoon, capture the memories with professional photographs taken by an expert. Coconut Creative HI knows where to go and how to get a real smile out of you, with a candid photography style and five years of portrait experience in Maui.
• THE ROAD TO HANA: This famous all-day drive is so rich in stunning viewpoints, beautiful waterfalls (some with swimming holes), tropical flora, lush rainforests, and scenic picnic areas, it breathes romance as you navigate every one of its 617 curves. Take it slowly. Relish the beauty. Stop along the way. Or leave the driving to an experienced tour company and simply focus on the spectacular scenery and each other. Read more about the Road to Hana in my “Top 10 Things to Do on Maui.”
• THE MOON & STARS: Enjoy an outdoor concert, or view a film under the stars at the Maui Film Festival every June in Wailea. Explore the constellations in the night sky with the “Tour of the Stars” rooftop astronomy program at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. Or share a one-of-a-kind sunset and stargazing program at the summit of Haleakala (pictured). Absolutely unforgettable, and oh so romantic to share together!
Want to get married on Maui? Check out my tips for your Maui wedding planning.
- Looking for romantic places to stay on Maui? You’ll save by BOOKING DIRECTLY with the owners/managers of these accommodations.
- Looking for Maui deals? Sign up here for our free monthly Maui Deals & Steals enewsletter with the latest book-direct deals from our advertisers.
Questions? Comments? Drop us a line:
(Note: We recognize and respect the significance of the ‘okina and kahakō markings in the written Hawaiian language; however, we have omitted those diacritical markings on our site in order to integrate with the more common spellings used in online searches.)
©Copyright 2015-Present Maui Accommodations Guide. If you wish to share content from our site, you may do so only by publishing a link to our original content on MauiAccommodations.com, so full and clear credit is given to us. Any other unauthorized use and/or duplication of any materials on this site (either text or photos) without our express and written permission is strictly prohibited. For permission to use excerpts or photos from our site, please contact the publisher. Mahalo!